How long has it been? Barely 2 weeks and so many people are “hooked” and I am more or less too except that I need to contain myself since I need to spend some time with my kids. If you are wondering why its so quiet here, that’s because my attention had been drawn to throwing balls… and walking… and walking… (it’s definitely a good exercise for me)
Well, Pokemon GO, which finally came to Singapore about 2 weeks ago, had definitely created some news. I didn’t really want to start it but the temptation, for a person who quite likes to play game, is too great. And so, I downloaded and installed it. Then I started catching the pokemons and collecting it. Friends around me, who are playing too, gave me LOTS of tips. So, I’m just going to note it down here for some referencing:
- There are 2 stats that are important and will be used to so-called check the potential IV (individual values) to see which pokemons are good. Apparently looking at the CP (combat power) itself is not a good indicator. The higher the maximum and average IV, the better it is.
- To check the IV of a pokemon, you can go to this website, which I’m currently using: https://pokeassistant.com/main/ivcalculator. I’m pretty sure there are others so feel free to use whichever you like.
- For those pokemons that are in their final form, i.e. they cannot evolve anymore, the moves are important. I check it at this website, but again you can use any others. I’m just lazy to search and test out. Note: I am not a pro.
- Catch as many pidgey, weedle, caterpie and rattata as you can. Because these are the cheapest to evolve. Transfer them and collect as many candies as you can. The higher level you go, the more difficult it is to catch the pokemons (‘cos all also higher level) and that would mean more difficult to get the candies.
- At a high level, use the lucky egg and evolve all the cheap pokemons as well as those to-be-evolved pokemons that you don’t have yet. That will boost up lots of experience.
- Spin the ball if you want to get extra experience.
- If you intend to use incense (although not much use), make sure you are moving. Every 200m will spawn a pokemon. Else it will be every 5 minutes. I tried that while sitting on a bus. To note, incense doesn’t lure the nearby pokemons. It only spawns for you. You will see a pinkish circle around the spawned pokemons.
- There are apps and websites that can detect the location of the pokemons. For iOS app, search for “GO RADAR”, a blue icon with the word “GO” on it. There’s none for android, or not that I know of that’s tried and tested. You might try this website though. https://www.pokemonradargo.com/#
- A lot of more rare pokemons come out only late at night. Not that it won’t appear during the day, it’s just that the frequency seems lower.
- Vivocity is a nice place to go and catcg magikarps. Carl’s jr and Kim Gary are 2 places that I’ve tried with a relatively good food and location.
- Lastly, its fun to chiong and catch those pokemons but safety comes first. There are lots of people driving around to hunt for pokemons and they might be rushing from one destination to another. I’ve seen it and it was… well, just be careful. A live is more important than catching a pokemon, after all it is still only a game.
- **10k eggs could possibly come from only certain pokestops. So start taking note of which pokestop you got those 10k eggs and then try it again!
- **If you take a bus, just switch on your Pokemon GO as it will take into account of the distance travelled. The bus is slow enough because it will stop and go. For what? To hatch your eggs ^^ That will save you from walking. Any speed more than 40-50km/h, you can switch it off.
- **Fight ya own team in the gym to increase the prestige such that it will increase the level. Once it level up, there will be one more slot to put a pokemon! But I guess you will have to put it quick before anyone does it first!
Well, that’s about it for now. If I have anything, I will update it here. I’m just at level 21, not sure how it will last. Shall see… for now, the hunt is still on…